In the late 1700's, Nathaniel Lucas was given a 2,200 acre land grant for his service in the Revolutionary War. He built on part of property. Mr. Lucas is buried in the Mizpah Community Cemetery that is part of the current homestead.
In 1818 Lucas sold 600 acres to Andrew James Wardlaw. Wardlaw built a nice home and then brought his wife and three children to Kentucky from Virginia.
In 1868, that home was destroyed by fire. In 1869 Andrew James Wardlaw III built this home in almost the same location as the 1818 home. Several generations of Wardlaw's continued to live in the home and do the farming until 1956 when the property was sold at a public auction.
In 1958 Emit Strode purchased the Homestead and farmed the property until 1996 when he passed. In 1996, Emit Strode's son, Wendell, and daughter-in-law, Jan, purchased the homestead and about 55 acres.
The Wardlaw Estate Cemetery and the Wardlaw Slave Cemetery are on the property.
During the Civil War, an Indiana Regiment stopped on the farm and stayed for a few days. They had one soldier, Benjamin Starr, that had been injured in a battle. When the Regiment was moving on, they asked the Wardlaw's if they could leave Benjamin Starr with them for them to nurse him back to good health. The Wardlaw's agreed to do so and the son of Andrew James Wardlaw III and Benjamin Starr became lifelong friends. For all generations since that time each family has named a new family member after the other family.
The current "suite" is the former slave quarters and has a separate entrance.